Saturday, December 14

This perfect girl is gone, too.

I'm not sure I can say how much I love the song "Let It Go" and its scene from the movie Frozen. If you haven't watched the movie yet, I highly recommend it, and also, this post will have spoilers. Don't worry, we can squeal over it together after you've seen it. I'll be here.


Now then, you've seen it?

Isn't it awesome?!

Here, let's see it again:



::happy sigh::

So, Elsa and this song touched me as powerfully as the end of Tangled did, but for a different reason. With Eugene's act, I saw Jesus reflected. With Elsa's freedom, I feel her realization, joy, and transformation of acceptance.

I'm struggling for the words, but the depth of my groans just don't translate well in the blogosphere. Auuggh! Okay, I had to. I just can't get enough of this song! (Seriously, I've been watching it two or three dozen times while writing this post.)

I ached with Elsa as a child, fearing something was wrong with her, that she could only hurt others, growing up hiding from everyone and everything. It wasn't the right choice, and we know when we're watching that it's not the right choice, yet it's exactly the sort of thing that we do in our own lives every day.

Everyone completely missed that her power can be beautiful.

And when she let's it go...it's stunning. The snow, the ice, the things she can do with them, and the freedom smile that makes her glow.

Yet there's also the hint that Elsa could become dangerous, just like everyone feared. She could become a villain at this point. She fully embraces who she is, and it's distinctly different than what she was told she had to be all her life. Seeing that change is a bit scary to me, to know how starkly different the two are. To know that very contrast is also possible in me. Her transformation is so complete that we know she might go too far if someone pushes her now. This is who she is, and she is powerful and passionate, embracing all of who she is including the raging storm within her.

She is both majestic and dangerous. And really, when we embrace the truth of our own selves, aren't we as well?

4 comments:

  1. As you know, I also love that scene (and the whole movie, really). It's super powerful to me as a parent -- kids can be scary. Their intensity and abandon are SCARY. But I have to remember that we have to *practice*, not just to get good at stuff, but to *be* good, to use our powers for good. I don't want to stifle Lucy's intensity; I want to help her practice it. But it's scary. Sometimes you're having fun and then you almost kill your sister. Or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I love how we have different perspectives on this because of who we are and what our lives are, and both are so valid. More to think upon for me. The movie is deep; I love it.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see this movie! I had wanted to see it this weekend with my boys, but we ended up with a sicky. Hopefully very soon!

    ReplyDelete